Burning Information

burn ban image

Burn In Effect


The Mason County Fire Marshal’s Office in partnership with the Mason County  Fire Chiefs’ Association, has determined that current weather conditions within Mason County have created substantial fire dangers and that there is a need to enact restriction on outdoor burning to all lands regulated by Mason County.   This burn ban applies to all outdoor burning, including land clearing, yard debris and recreational fires.  The use of gas and propane self-contained stoves and barbeques will continue to be allowed under the ban.


For further information, please contact the Mason County Burn Ban Information Line at (360) 427-7799.


*Lands protected by Department of Natural Resources (DNR) may have different restrictions.  To find out more information or determine if you are in a Department of Natural Resources area visit www.dnr.wa.gov or call the DNR South Puget Sound Region at 360-825-1631.



Click Here: Mason County Department of Community Development Press Release



Within the Belfair Urban Growth Area(UGA) there is a permanent  burn ban in effect.

Burn piles may be no bigger than 4′ wide x4′ long x4′ high. Burn Barrels are illegal in Washington State.  Washington State regulations state that only natural vegetation may be burned. Washington State defines natural vegetation as:
Unprocessed plant material from herbs, shrubbery, and trees, including grass, weeds, and leaves.

Prohibited materials include, but are not limited to:
Garbage, plastic, cardboard, paper*, construction/demolition debris including all types of lumber, dead animals, asphalt, petroleum products, paints, rubber, metal, or any substance that releases toxic emissions, dense smoke, and/or obnoxious odors when burned.

*A limited amount of paper is allowed to get a fire started but no more may be added after it has been ignited.

For a copy of the Mason County Burning Regulations click here:


Further information regarding burn bans in your local area and state wide can be obtained from ORCAA new online information center.  This is accessed by clicking the link below.